Thursday, September 08, 2011

Analysis: The UN bid through the eyes of a Palestinian refugee

By Nizar El Laz, Ma’an News Agency, Sep. 8, 2011

Palestinian refugee Mudalala Akel, 86, still holds the keys to her family’s home in what is now Israel. [MaanImages/Wissam Nasser, File]
 
I have dreamed of participating in the first and the second intifada, in the peaceful protests against the apartheid wall, and in the daily struggle against the occupation in the West Bank, Jerusalem and Gaza as much as I have dreamed of being raised in my homeland and as much as I’ve continuously been hoping for a chance to visit Palestine.

I have also wished that President Abbas would visit some of the camps to see the drastic situation refugees are living in Lebanon instead of only looking to raise the Palestinian flag on the embassy of the state newly recognized by Lebanon. A major question is being raised amongst the refugees’ population in Lebanon: What will be our future?

Continues >>

No comments: