Sunday, July 22, 2012

Victims of Norway mass murderer Anders Breivik remembered one year on

 
noway jens stoltenberg Image 1
norway jens stoltenberg Image 1

NORWAY is commemorating the 77 victims of a bomb and gun massacre that shocked the peaceful nation one year ago.

Anders Behring Breivik, a 33-year-old far-right fanatic, has admitted to the attacks on July 22 last year – a bombing of the government headquarters in Oslo, killing eight, and a shooting rampage that left 69 dead at the left-wing Labour Party’s youth camp on Utoya island.

In a wreath-laying ceremony at the bomb site today, prime minister Jens Stoltenberg said Breivik had not succeeded in his declared goal of destroying Norway’s commitment to being an inclusive, multicultural society.
Mr Stoltenberg said: “The bomb and the gun shots were meant to change Norway. The Norwegian people answered by embracing our values. The perpetrator lost. The people won.”

In Oslo, tarps still cover the windows of bomb-damaged buildings on the plaza, and large cement road blocks stop all but pedestrian traffic.

Continues >>
Post a Comment