Wednesday, July 28, 2010

US rattles sabre in the East Sea/ Sea of Japan

Morning Star Online, July 25, 2010

A South Korean plane takes off from the USS George Washington

A South Korean plane takes off from the USS George Washington

The United States and South Korea have launched a major military drill in the Sea of Japan [East Sea], despite China’s concern that the sabre-rattling is exacerbating already acute tensions in the region.

The nuclear-powered USS George Washington aircraft carrier led an armada of warships in the “Invincible Spirit” exercises off the Korean peninsula.

The military drills are to run until Wednesday with 8,000 US and South Korean troops, 20 ships and submarines and 200 aircraft on station.

More than 200 warplanes are being deployed, including F-22 Raptors and F-18 fighter jets.

USS George Washington commanding officer David Lausman said: “We are showing our resolve.”

Continues >>

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Nasir Khan:

I'm writing this comment to ask for correction in this post.

The sea, which is written only as Sea of Japan, was called East Sea or several variations thereof throughout most of its history. However, when Japan had colonized South Korea for 35 years (1910 -1945), Japan changed its name to Sea of Japan without any bilateral discussion with South Korea. In that period, South Korea had its sovereignty taken by Japan, which led to no way to speak out against it. Since South Korea got its sovereignty back, it has continuously taken countermeasures fighting for the name, East Sea.

Since 1990, IHO(International Hydrographic Organization) and UNCSGN(United Nations Conference on the Standardization of Geographical Names) have adopted a resolution that when adjacent countries do not reach an agreement on a term for a shared water, both names for the sea should be used at the same time. According to the resolution, world’s prestigious publishers and media, such as The Wall Street Journal, Rand McNally, Encyclopedia Britannica, the Los Angles Times, use the term, East Sea/Sea of Japan for the water.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Yujin Lee

Nasir Khan said...

Thank you for this correction in the post.

I suppose when you mention the Japanese colonization of South Korea, you mean the whole of Korea, not merely what became South Korea after the Korean War in the 1950s.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the reponse. Yes, you're right. With the name, South Korea, I meant the whole Korean peninsula.

So, making the term clear, I'd like once again to ask you for correction on the term of the sea. I'd appreciate it if you do so.

Nasir Khan said...

I agree with your explanation. Accordingly, I have added the name East Sea. However, I hope you also understand that I cannot change the contents of an article authored by someone else. But it does not mean that I agree with everything an article contains that I post. I believe in the freedom of expression as much as possible.

If you want to write an article on the issue to clarify the historical facts about the issue in a clear way then I will be happy to post it on my blog.

By the way, I am not totally ignorant about the role of the Japanese militarists in Asia in the last century!

Unknown said...

I appreciate that you edited the title of this article.

I work for the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. If you'd like to post an article about the matter, I can send you a brochure about it so that you can extract parts from the material. So, please feel free to ask me if you want.

Once again, thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Yujin Lee