Saturday, August 21, 2010

Iraq: Torture. Corruption. Civil war. America has Certainly Left Its Mark

Robert Fisk, The Independent/UK, August 20, 2010


AP
Some of the last US combat soldiers to leave Iraq race for the Kuwaiti border. Around 50,000 troops will stay in the country to train the Iraqi army


Some of the last US combat soldiers to leave Iraq race for the Kuwaiti border. Around 50,000 troops will stay in the country to train the Iraqi army

When you invade someone else’s country, there has to be a first soldier – just as there has to be a last.

The first man in front of the first unit of the first column of the invading American army to reach Fardous Square in the centre of Baghdad in 2003 was Corporal David Breeze of the 3rd Battalion, Fourth Marine Regiment. For that reason, of course, he pointed out to me that he wasn’t a soldier at all. Marines are not soldiers. They are Marines. But he hadn’t talked to his mom for two months and so – equally inevitably – I offered him my satellite phone to call his home in Michigan. Every journalist knows you’ll get a good story if you lend your phone to a soldier in a war.

“Hi, you guys,” Corporal Breeze bellowed. “I’m in Baghdad. I’m ringing to say ‘Hi! I love you. I’m doing fine. I love you guys.’ The war will be over in a few days. I’ll see you soon.” Yes, they all said the war would be over soon. They didn’t consult the Iraqis about this pleasant notion. The first suicide bombers – a policeman in a car and then two women in a car – had already hit the Americans on the long highway up to Baghdad. There would be hundreds more. There will be hundreds more in Iraq in the future.

Continues >>

No comments: