Thursday, March 29, 2018

The need to separate State and Religion in modern times:


“If I were a dictator, religion and state would be separate. I swear by my religion. I will die for it. But it is my personal affair. The state has nothing to do with it. The state would look after your secular welfare, health, communications, foreign relations, currency and so on, but not your or my religion. That is everybody's personal concern!”

― Indian politician and outstanding leader of the Indian independence movement from the British colonial rule Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)
-------------
Gandhi was a devout religious man. But he knew that democracy and theocracy in the modern world were incompatible; therefore it was necessary to separate religion from the State, and avoid the obvious dangers of tyranny under the guise of religion. If we look around where religions are allowed to be part of the State, there is only political tyranny, lack of democracy, violations of human rights, unjust laws, victimization of religious minorities and social oppression.
 

--- Nasir Khan

No comments: